When I came across this post asking darker skinned bloggers ‘why I love my brown skin’ I felt the need to join in the conversation and give my own reasons for loving my skin.
So here are the reasons why I love my brown skin –
- Bright colours really suit me, both fashion wise and beauty wise
- I never need to worry about getting a tan as I have one all year round
- Its a part of me and it displays my heritage and its a nod to my ancestors
- Its a lovely shade and hides blemishes really easily
- It ages really slowly. I’m 30 years old but most folk think I’m under 25
- It gives me an exotic look that has gotten me a lot of compliments over the years
- And most importantly my brown skin has helped create three truly beautiful children
So that is why I love my brown skin.
Unfortunately I haven’t always felt this way. I’ve spoken before about the racial taunts I suffered as a child due to my skin colour. In those dark days I often wished to have lighter skin to be like everyone else in the extremely caucasian community that I lived in. But now that I’m all grown up I love the skin I’m in. It’s the only one I’ll ever have and I’m happy with that.